It is the second oldest extant lighthouse tower in Australia, as well as having the longest (158 years) history of being continuously manned. It was first lit in March 1838 and was eventually decommissioned on 6 August 1996.
The project was commissioned by Governor George Arthur in 1835 after a series of shipwrecks south of Bruny Island and construction began in April 1836. The lighthouse was built by convict labour using locally quarried dolerite over two years. When first lit in March 1838 it was Tasmania's third lighthouse and Australia's fourth.
|Date taken||2017:10:15 11:18:26|
|Focal length||3.6 mm|
Photographer: Tom Duncan
Image Name: Bruny Island Lighthouse
Location: Bruny Island
Location Area: Bruny Island